Assorted selection of Associate Professor Singh’s Research Articles
- Singh NA, Quine S, Clemson L, Williams E, Williamson D, Stavrinos T, Grady J, Perry T, Lloyd B, Smith E, Fiatarone Singh M. “Effects of High-Intensity Progressive Resistance Training and Targeted Multidisciplinary Treatment of Frailty on Mortality and Nursing Home Admissions after Hip Fracture: A Randomised Controlled Trial”. JAMDA 13 (2012) 24-30.
- Singh N, Stavrinos T, Scarbek Y, Galambos G, Liber C, Fiatarone Singh M. A Randomised Controlled Trial of High Versus Low Intensity Weight Training Versus General Practitioner Care for Clinical Depression in Older Adults. Journals of Gerontology Series A-Biological Sciences & Medical Sciences 2005; 60A: 768-76.
- Singh N. Prescribing Exercise, It’s Never Too Late. Medicine Today. September 2001:20-312.
- Singh NA, Clements KM, Fiatarone MA. The Efficacy of Exercise as a Long-Term Antidepressant in Elderly Subjects: A Randomized Controlled Trial. The Journals of Gerontology: Aug 2001:56A, 8: 497-504.
- Singh, NA , Stavrinos, TM, Skarbek, Y, Galambos, G, Fiatarone Singh MA,. The effectiveness and appropriate intensity of progressive resistance training to treat clinical depression in the elderly: A randomised controlled trial. Australian and New Zealand J of Med 30(2): 304, 2000.
- Singh N, Fiatarone Singh M. Exercise and Depression in the Older Adult. Nutrition in Clin Care 2000; 3: 197-208.
- Singh NA, Clements, KM, and Fiatarone MA. Exercise as a long term antidepressant in the elderly. The 16th Congress of the International Association of Gerontology, Book of Abstracts, Andrews GR, et al, eds., 1997 World Congress of Gerontology, Inc, Bedford Park, S. Australia:Abstract No. 1042, p. 343.
- Singh NA, Clements KM, Fiatarone MA. A Randomized Controlled Trial of the Effect of Exercise on Sleep. Sleep 1997; 20(2):95-101.
- Singh N, Clements K, Fiatarone M. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Progressive Resistance Training in Depressed Elders. Journals of Gerontology: Series A-Biological Sciences & Medical Sciences 1997; 52A(1):M27-35.
- Singh, NA, Clements, KM, Fiatarone, MA. A randomised controlled trial of progressive resistance training in clinically depressed elders. (Australian and New Zealand Journal of Medicine Vol 26 No4 August, 1996 P-599)
- Singh, NA, Clements, KM, Fiatarone, MA. The rationale for the use of exercise as a treatment for depression in the elderly. Healthy ageing, activity and sports, proceedings of the International conference on physical activity and sports Heidelberg, Germany, August 27-31, 1996.
- Fiatarone Singh, M.A., Gates, N., Saigal, N., Wilson, G.C., Meiklejohn, J., Brodaty, H., Wen, N, Singh, N., Baune, B.T., Suo, C., Baker, M.K., Foroughi, N., Wang, Y., Sachdev, P.S. Valenzuela, M. The Study of Mental and Resistance Training (SMART) Study – Resistance Training and/or Cognitive Training in Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Double-Sham Controlled Trial , Jrnl of American Medical Directors, 15(12), 873-880
- Yorgi Mavros, Shelley Kay, Kylie A. Simpson, Michael K Baker, Yi Wang, Renru Zhao, Jacinda Meiklejohn, Mike Climstein, Anthony J O’Sullivan, Nathan de Vos, Bernhard T Baune, Steven N Blair, David Simar, Kieron Rooney, Nalin Singh, Maria A. Fiatarone Singh. Reductions in C-reactive protein in older adults with type 2 diabetes are related to improvements in body composition, following a randomised controlled trial of resistance training. J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. June 2014: 5(2): 111-120.
- Yorgi Mavros, Shelley Kay, Kylie A. Anderberg, Michael K Baker, Yi Wang, Renru Zhao, Jacinda Meiklejohn, Mike Climstein, Anthony O’Sullivan, Nathan de Vos, Bernhard T Baune, Steven N Blair, David Simar, Kieron Rooney, Nalin Singh, Maria A. Fiatarone Singh. Changes in Insulin Resistance and HbA1c are Related to Exercise-Mediated Changes in Body Composition in Older Adults with Type 2 Diabetes: Interim outcomes from the GREAT2DO trial. Diabetes Care. Aug 2013: 36(8): 2372-2379. Published online before print March 8, 2013, doi: 10.2337/dc12-2196.
- Mitchell, S.J., Hilmer, S.N., Kirkpatrick, C.M., Hansen, R.D., Williamson, D.A., Singh, N.A., Finnegan, T.P., Allen, B.J., Diamond, T.H., Diwan, A.D., Lloyd, B.D., Smith, E.U., and Fiatarone Singh, M.A. (2012) Estimation of lean body weight in older women with hip fracture. The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging 16(2): 188-192.
- Cordina, R.L., O’Meagher, S., Karmali, A., Rae, C.L., Liess, C., Kemp, G.J., Puranik, R., Singh, N., and Celermajer, D.S. Resistance Training Improves Cardiac Output, Exercise Capacity and Tolerance to Positive Airway Pressure in Fontan Physiology. Int J Cardiol.(2012), 168 (2013) 780-788.
- Wang Y, Simar D, Anderberg K, Mavros Y, Kay S, Zhao R, Baune B, O’Sullivan A, Singh N, Fiatarone Singh M. (2011) Muscle and Adipose Tissue Biopsy in Older Adults with Type 2 Diabetes. JDM 1(3) 27-35.
- Gates, N.J., Valenzuela, M., Sachdev, P.S., Singh, N.A., Baune, B.T., Brodaty, H., Suo, C., Jain, N., Wilson, G.C., Wang, Y., Baker, M.K., Williamson, D., Foroughi, N., and Fiatarone Singh, M.A. (2011) Study of Mental Activity and Regular Training (SMART) in at Risk Individuals: A Randomised Double Blind, Sham Controlled, Longitudinal Trial. BMC Geriatrics 11(19).
- Lloyd, B.D., Williamson, D.A., Singh, N.A., Hansen, R.D., Diamond, T.H., Finnegan, T.P., Allen, B.J., Grady, J.N., Stavrinos, T.M., Smith, E.U., Diwan, A.D., and Fiatarone Singh, M.A. (2009) Recurrent and Injurious Falls in the Year Following Hip Fracture: A Prospective Study of Incidence and Risk Factors from the Sarcopenia and Hip Fracture Study. The Journals of Gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences 64(5): 599-609.
- Fiatarone Singh, M.A., Singh, N.A., Hansen, R.D., Finnegan, T.P., Allen, B.J., Diamond, T.H., Diwan, A.D., Lloyd, B.D., Williamson, D.A., Smith, E.U., Grady, J.N., Stavrinos, T.M., and Thompson, M.W. (2009) Methodology and Baseline Characteristics for the Sarcopenia and Hip Fracture Study: A 5-Year Prospective Study. The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences 64(5): 568-574.
- de Vos NJ, Singh NA, Ross DA, Stavrinos TM, Orr R, Fiatarone Singh MA. Continuous Hemodynamic Response to Maximal Dynamic Strength Testing in Older Adults. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation 2008;89(2):343-50.
- de Vos N, Singh N, Ross D, Stavrinos T, Fiatarone Singh M. Effect of Power-Training Intensity on the Contribution of Force and Velocity to Peak Power in Older Adults. Journal of Aging & Physical Activity 2008; 16: 393-407.
- Hansen, R. D., Williamson, D. A., Finnegan, T. P., Lloyd, B. D., Grady, J. N., Diamond, T. H., Smith, E. U. R., Stavrinos, T. M., Thompson, M. W., Gwinn, T. H., Allen, B. J., Smerderly, P. I., Diwan, A. D., Singh, N. A., Fiatarone Singh, M. A. (2007). Estimation of Thigh Muscle Cross-Sectional Area by Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry in Frail Elderly Patients. Am J Clin Nutr 86(4): 952-8.
- Orr R, de Vos NJ, Singh NA, Ross DA, Stavrinos TM, Fiatarone Singh MA. Power Training Improves Balance in Healthy Older Adults. Journals of Gerontology Series A-Biological Sciences & Medical Sciences 2006; 61A (1):78-85.
- de Vos N, Singh N, Ross D, Stavrinos T, Orr R, Fiatarone Singh M. Optimal Load for Increasing Muscle Power During Explosive Resistance Training in Older Adults. Journals of Gerontology Series A-Biological Sciences & Medical Sciences 2005; 60A: 638-47.
- Cistulli P, Fiatarone Singh M, Singh N. Insomnia in the Elderly Patient. Medicine Today August 2001;1: 72-84.
- Singh N.A, (2001) Prescribing exercise its never too late. Medicine today. Sept 1, 20-32.
- Cistulli, P.A, Fiatarone Singh M.A, Singh, N.A. (2001) Insomnia in the elderly patient. Medicine today. Aug 1, 72-84.
- Singh, NA, Fiatarone Singh, MA. (2001) Exercise and depression in the older adult: A brief review. Nutrition in Clinical Care, 3: 197-208.
- Cistulli, P.A, Singh, N.A. Sleep in the older woman. Exercise nutrition and the older woman wellness for women over fifty. Fiatarone Singh M.A ed, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida. 417-441
- Singh, N.A. Depression in the older woman. Exercise nutrition and the older woman wellness for women over fifty. Fiatarone Singh M.A ed, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida. 395-411
Abstracts & Conference Proceedings
- Mavros Y, Rooney K, Kay S , Simar D, Anderberg K, Baker M, Wang Y, Zhao R, Meiklejohn J, De Vos N, Climstein M, O’Sullivan A, Baune B, Blair S, Singh N, Fiatarone Singh M. “Treatment of Co-morbidities in Obese Patients (Clinical Practice and Multi Disciplinary Management)”. 19th European Congress on Obesity, France, May 9-12 2012
- Guo Q, Wang Y, Anderberg K, Mavros Y, Kay M, Singh N, Simar D, Fiatarone Singh M. “Relationships between skeletal muscle c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) and health status indicators in older adults with type 2 diabetes”. 64th GSA Conference Boston MA Nov 18-22 2011.
- Guo Q, Wang Y, Mavros Y, Simar D, Anderberg K, Kay M, Singh N, Fiatarone Singh M. “Skeletal muscle c-Jun N-terminal Kinase (JNK) is related to selected cytokines in older adults with type 2 diabetes (T2D): Baseline correlations of the GREAT2DO study”. 64th GSA Conference Boston MA Nov 18-22 2011.
- Maria A. Fiatarone Singh, Lindy M. Clemson, Susan Quine, Cherry Russell, Bradley D., Lloyd, Dominique A. Williamson, Emma UR Smith, Elodie J. Williams, Theodora M. Stavrinos, Nalin A. Singh. “The hip fracture intervention trial (HIPFIT): a 12 month randomised controlled multi-modal intervention to improve functional outcomes. ANZGSM 2011.
- Suo, C., Fiatarone Singh, M.A., Sachdev, P., Wen, W., Singh, N., Brodaty, H., Baune, B.T., Gates, N. and Valenzuela, M. Lifetime mental activity promotes structural and functional brain integrity. Presented to the 30th Annual Meeting of the Australian Neuroscience Society & the 50th Anniversary Meeting of the Australian Physiological Society, February 2010, NSW, Australia.
- Maria A. Fiatarone Singh, Lindy M.Clemson, Susan Quine, Cherry Russell, Bradley D. Lloyd, Dominique A. Williamson, Emma UR Smith, Elodie J. Williams, Theodora M. Stavrinos, Nalin A. Singh. “The hip fracture intervention trial (HIPFIT): effects on mortality, functional status and clinical outcomes at one year”. ANZGSM 2010
- Wang, Y., Simar, D., Simpson, K., Singh, N., Mavros, Y., Zhao, R., Kay, S., de Vos, N., Meiklejohn, J., Baker, M., Baune, B., O’Sullivan, A., Blair, S. and Fiatarone Singh, M.A. Muscle and adipose tissue biopsy in older adults with type 2 diabetes. Presented to From Cell to Society, Faculties of Health Research Conference, University of Sydney, 2009.
- Simpson, K., Singh, N., Wang, Y., Mavros, Y., Zhao, R., Kay, S., de Vos., N, Meiklejohn, J., Baker, M., Simar, D., Baune, B., O’Sullivan, A., Blair, S. and Fiatarone Singh, M.A. Graded resistance exercise and type 2 diabetes in older adults: Methodology for the GREAT2DO study. Presented to From Cell to Society, Faculties of Health Research Conference, University of Sydney, 2009.
- Nicola Gates, Dr Michael Valenzuela, A/Professor Nalin Singh, A/P Bernhard Baune, Prof Perminder Sachdev, Prof Henry Brodaty, Dr Wei Wen, Prof Maria Fiatarone Singh, “The changing brain: Neuropsychological adaptation from the cradle to the grave”. Presentation title: Stimulating neural plasticity in at risk elderly: the SMART study. 15TH Annual Conference APS College of Clinical Neurophyscologists Oct /Nov 2009
- Simpson K, Fiatarone Singh MA, Valenzuela M, Baune, B., Singh N., Brodaty, H., Sachdev, P., Wen, W. Study of mental and regular training (SMART) in people with mild cognitive impairment: preliminary screening results. 19th IAGG World meeting. Paris, July, 2009.
- Hilmer S, Kirkpatrick C, Green B, Hansen R, Williamson D, Singh N, Diwan A, Allen B, Diamondi T, Fiatarone Singh MA. Estimation of lean body weight in elderly patients. 19th IAGG World meeting. Paris, July, 2009.
- Simpson K, Bradley L, Williamson D, Singh N, Hansen R, Diamond T, Finnegan T, Allen B, Stavrinos T, Diwan A, Fiatarone Singh MA. Functional status one year after hip fracture: results from the sarcopenia and hip fracture (SHIP) study. 19th IAGG World meeting. Paris, July, 2009.
- Fiatarone Singh MA, Singh NA, Hansen RD, Finnegan TP, Allen BJ, Diamond TH, Diwan AD, Lloyd BD, Williamson DA, Smith EUR, Grady JN, Stavrinos TM, Thompson MW. Methodology and baseline characteristics for the Sarcopenia and Hip Fracture Study: A one year prospective study. Presented at The Gerontological Society of America’s 61st Annual Scientific Meeting, 21st November, 2008.
- Fiatarone-Singh M, Singh N, Hansen R, Finnegan T, Allen B, Diamond T, Diwan A, Lloyd B, Williamson D, Smith E, Grady J, Stavrinos T, Thompson M. Methodology and Baseline Characteristics for the Sarcopenia and Hip Fracture (SHIP) Study: A Five-Year Prospective Study [Abstract]. Gerontology 48(11): 54, 2008
- Lloyd B, Williamson D, Singh N, Hansen R, Diamond T, Finnegan T, Allen B, Grady J, Stavrinos T, Smith E, Diwan A, Fiatarone Singh M. Recurrent and Injurious Falls in the Year Following Hip Fracture: A Prospective Study of Incidence and Risk Factors from the Sarcopenia and Hip Fracture (SHIP) Study. [Abstract]. Gerontology 48(11): 54, 2008.
- Nathan J de Vos, Nalin A Singh, Dale A Ross, Theodora M Stavrinos, Rhonda Orr, Maria A Fiatarone Singh (2006) Influence of Explosive Resistance Training Intensity on Muscle Force and Velocity Contributions to Peak Power in Older Adults: A Randomized Controlled Trial (presented at GSA conference, Nov. 2006) The Gerontologist 46(1): 408, 2006.
- M Fiatarone Singh,T Finnegan, P Smerdley, T Diamond, R Hansen, B Allen, E Smith, J Grady, D Williamson, B Lloyd, N Singh. SHIP study( Sarcopenia and hip fracture study) A prospective study of the eitiology of falls and injuries in the year following a hip fracture. The Gerontologist, Volume 46, Special Issue 1, October 2006, page 217.
- Nathan J de Vos, Nalin A Singh, Dale A Ross, Theodora M Stavrinos, Rhonda Orr, Maria A Fiatarone Singh. Power training intensity alters the contribution of force and velocity to peak power generation in older adults: A randomized controlled trial. Australian Association for Exercise and Sports Science sept 2006 Sydney.
- Nathan J de Vos, Nalin A Singh, Dale A Ross, Theodora M Stavrinos, Rhonda Orr Maria A Fiatarone Singh (2005). Acute hemodynamic response to maximal dynamic strength testing in older adults The 58th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America; Orlando, 18-22 November 2005. The Gerontologist. 45: 298
- Orr R, de Vos NJ, Singh N. A., Ross DA, Stavrinos TM, Fiatarone Singh MA. (2005) Power Training Improves Balance in Healthy Older Adults. The Gerontologist. 45: 296-297
- Fiatarone Singh MA, Singh N, Hansen R, et al. (2005) Sarcopenia and poor nutrition predict disability one year after hip fracture in older adults. In: The 58th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America; 18-22 November 2005; Orlando, Florida, USA. The Gerontologist. 45: 118
- Orr R, deVos NJ, Singh NA, Ross D, Stavrinos TM, Fiatarone Singh MA. Fiatarone Singh. Novel Relationships Of Balance To Muscle Power And Mental Health In Healthy Older Adults. . Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society, Las Vegas, NV, May, 2004 J Am Geriatr Soc; 52(4):S17 (Suppl) 2004
- de Vos N, Singh N, Ross D, Stavrinos,T, Orr, R, Fiatarone Singh, M. The optimal load for increasing muscle power during explosive resistance training in older adults. Exercise and sports medicine Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise; Vol. 36 (5), S29
- Willey, KA, Singh, N, Mendoza, D, Stavrinos, T, Fiatarone Singh, MA. Targeting insulin resistance and body composition in type 2 diabetes with weight lifting exercise. Australian Diabetes Society Annual Meeting, Cairns, Australia, 8/2001.
- Stavrinos, TM, Skarbek, Y, Galambos, G, Fiatarone Singh MA, Singh, NA. The effects of low intensity versus high intensity progressive resistance weight training on shoulder function in the elderly: A randomised controlled trial. Australian and New Zealand J of Med 30(2): 305, 2000.
Seminal Articles In the use of Exercise as a Medicine
- Nalin A. Singh and Maria A. Fiatarone Singh. Exercise an Depression in the Older Adult. Nutrition in Clinical Care Volume 3, Issue 4, Article first published online: 25 Dec 2001
- Singh N. Prescribing Exercise, It’s Never Too Late. Medicine Today. September 2001:20-312.
- Fiatarone Singh, M. (2002). Exercise comes of age: Rationale and recommendations for a geriatric exercise prescription. Journals of Gerontology. Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, 57A(5), M262-M282.
- Fiatarone Singh, M. (2010). Exercise comes of age as medicine for older adults. Research Digest, 10(3).
- Maria A. Fiatarone Singh. Exercise for Disease Prevention in the Geriatric Population. Nutrition in Clinical Care. Volume 4, Issue 6, pages 296–305, Nov/Dec 2001
- Lloyd, B., Williamson, D., Singh, N., Hansen, R., Diamond, T., Finnegan, T., Allen, B., Grady, J., Stavrinos, T., Smith, E., Fiatarone Singh, M., et al (2009). Recurrent and injurious falls in the year following hip fracture: a prospective study of incidence and risk factors from the Sarcopenia and Hip Fracture study. Journals of Gerontology. Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, 64A(5), 599-609.
- Singh, N., Quine, S., Clemson, L., Williams, E., Williamson, D., Stavrinos, T., Grady, J., Perry, T., Lloyd, B., Smith, E., Fiatarone Singh, M. (2012). Effects of High-Intensity Progressive Resistance Training and Targeted Multidisciplinary Treatment of Frailty on Mortality and Nursing Home Admissions after Hip Fracture: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 13(1), 24-30.
- Fiatarone Singh, M., Singh, N., Hansen, R., Finnegan, T., Allen, B., Diamond, T., Diwan, A., Lloyd, B., Williamson, D., Smith, E., Grady, J., Stavrinos, T., Thompson, M. (2009). Methodology and baseline characteristics for the Sarcopenia and Hip Fracture study: a 5-year prospective study. Journals of Gerontology. Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, 64A(5), 568-574.
- Ronenn Roubenoff Sarcopenia: Effects on Body Composition and Function Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences. 2003, Vol. 58A, No. 11, 1012–1017
- Baker, K.R, Nelson, M. E, Felson, D.T, Layne, J.E, Sarno, R and Roubenoff, R. The Efficacy of Home Based Progressive Strength Training in Older Adults with Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomised Controlled Trial. The Journal of Rheumatology 2001: 28:7, 1655-1665.
- Ettinger WH Jr, Burns R, Messier SP, Applegate W, Rejeski WJ, Morgan T, Shumaker S, Berry MJ, O’Toole M, Monu J, Craven T. A randomized trial comparing aerobic exercise and resistance exercise with a health education program in older adults with knee osteoarthritis. The Fitness Arthritis and Seniors Trial (FAST). JAMA. 1997 Jan 1; 277(1): 25-31.
- Singh, N., Stavrinos, T., Scarbek, Y., Galambos, G., Liber, C., Fiatarone Singh, M. (2005). A randomized controlled trial of high versus low intensity weight training versus general practitioner care for clinical depression in older adults. Journals of Gerontology. Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, 60A(6), 768-776.
- Albright A, Franz M, Hornsby G, Kriska A, Marrero D, Ullrich I, Verity LS. American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Exercise and type 2 diabetes. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise [2000, 32(7): 1345-1360]
- Jeanine B. Albu, Leonie K. Heilbronn, David E. Kelley, Steven R. Smith, Koichiro Azuma, Evan S. Berk, F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer, Eric Ravussin and the Look AHEAD Adipose Research Group. Metabolic Changes Following a 1-Year Diet and Exercise Intervention in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes. DIABETES, VOL. 59, MARCH 2010 627 – 633.
- Umpierre D, Ribeiro PA, Kramer CK, Leitão CB, Zucatti AT, Azevedo MJ, Gross JL, Ribeiro JP, Schaan BD. Physical activity advice only or structured exercise training and association with HbA1c levels in type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2011 May 4; 305(17): 1790-9.
- Kelley DE1, Goodpaster BH. Effects of exercise on glucose homeostasis in Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001 Jun; 33(6 Suppl):S495-501; discussion S528-9.
- Castaneda C, Layne JE, Munoz-Orians L, Gordon PL, Walsmith J, Foldvari M, Roubenoff R, Tucker KL, Nelson ME. A randomized controlled trial of resistance exercise training to improve glycemic control in older adults with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2002 Dec;25(12):2335-41.
- Fiatarone Singh, M., Castaneda, C., Gordon, P., Uhlin, K., Levey,, A., Kehayias,, J., Dwyer,, J., Fielding, R., Roubenoff, R. (2001). Resistance training to counteract the catabolism of a low-protein diet in patients with chronic renal insufficiency. Annals of Internal Medicine, 135, 999-1001.
- Miriam E. Nelson, Maria A. Fiatarone, Christina M. Morganti,, Isaiah Trice, Robert A. Greenberg, William J. Evans. Effects of High-Intensity Strength Training on Multiple Risk Factors for Osteoporotic Fractures. A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA. 1994; 272(24): 1909-1914.
- Nelson, M., Layne, J., Bernstein, M., Nuernberger, A., Castaneda, C., Kaliton, D., Hausdorff, J., Judge, J., Buchner, D., Roubenoff, R., Fiatarone Singh, M. (2004). The Effects Of Multidimensional Home-Based Exercise On Functional Performance In Elderly People. Journals of Gerontology. Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, 59(2), 154-160.
- Nowson, C., Flicker, L., Fiatarone Singh, M. (2010). Osteoporosis in frail older people. Medicine Today, 11(11), 18-29.
- Fiatarone Singh, M. (2002). Exercise and Osteoporosis. Osteoblast, 5-7.
- Maria Fiatarone Singh. Exercise and osteoporotic fracture prevention. Part 1: the role of exercise. Medicine Today 2006; 7(12): 30-39
- Maria Fiatarone Singh. Exercise and osteoporotic fracture prevention. Part 2: prescribing exercise. Medicine Today 2007; 8(1): 31-41.
- Christopher M. O’Connor, David J. Whellan, Kerry L. Lee, Steven J. Keteyian, Lawton S. Cooper, Stephen J. Ellis, Eric S. Leifer, William E. Kraus, Dalane W. Kitzman, James A. Blumenthal, David S. Rendall, Nancy Houston Miller, Jerome L. Fleg, Kevin A. Schulman, Robert S. McKelvie, Faiez Zannad, Ileana L. Piña, for the HF-ACTION Investigators. Efficacy and Safety of Exercise Training in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure. HF-ACTION Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA. 2009; 301(14): 1439-1450.
- Pu CT, Johnson MT, Forman DE, Hausdorff JM, Roubenoff R, Foldvari M, Fielding RA, Singh MA. Randomized trial of progressive resistance training to counteract the myopathy of chronic heart failure. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2001 Jun; 90(6): 2341-50.
- Ronenn Roubenoff and Daniel Forman. Exercise in the Management of Heart Failure. Nutrition in Clinical Care. August 2000. Volume 3, Issue 4, pages 225–229.
- Parmenter BJ, Raymond J, Dinnen P, Singh MA. A systematic review of randomized controlled trials: Walking versus alternative exercise prescription as treatment for intermittent claudication. Atherosclerosis. 2011 Sep; 218(1): 1-12.
- Fiatarone Singh, M., Cistulli, P., Singh, N. (2002). Insomnia in the Elderly Patient. Medical Progress, 34-41.
- Cribb PJ, Hayes A. Effects of supplement timing and resistance exercise on skeletal muscle hypertrophy. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Nov; 38(11): 1918-25.
- Maria A. Fiatarone, Evelyn F. O’Neill, Nancy Doyle Ryan, Karen M. Clements, Guido R. Solares, Miriam E. Nelson, Susan B. Roberts, Joseph J. Kehayias, Lewis A. Lipsitz, and William J. Evans. Exercise Training and Nutritional Supplementation for Physical Frailty in Very Elderly People. N Engl J Med 1994; 330:1769-1775.
Recent Articles in the use of Exercise as a Medicine
AIDS & HIV
- Sakkas GK, Mulligan K, DaSilva M, Doyle JW, Khatami H, et al. (2009) Creatine Fails to Augment the Benefits from Resistance Training in Patients with HIV Infection: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study. PLoS ONE 4(2): e4605.
- O’Brien K, Nixon S, Tynan AM, Glazier R. Aerobic exercise interventions for adults living with HIV/AIDS. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2010, Issue 8. Art. No.: CD001796.
- Eun-Nam Lee, Young-Hee Kim, Won Tae Chung and Myeong Soo Lee. Tai Chi for Disease Activity and Flexibility in Patients with Ankylosing Spondylitis—A Controlled Clinical Trial 2008;5(4)457–462 .
- Umit Dundar, Ozlem Solak, Ilknur Yigit, Deniz Evcik, and Vural Kavuncu. Clinical Effectiveness of Aquatic Exercise to Treat Chronic Low Back Pain. A Randomized Controlled Trial. 2009. SPINE Vol 34(14), pp 1436 –1440.
- Joel K. Jackson, Tyrell R. Shepherd and Robert T Kell. The influence of periodized resistance training on recreationally active males with chronic nonspecific low back pain.. 2011. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 25(1)/242–251.
- Karen J. Sherman, Daniel C. Cherkin, Robert D. Wellman, Andrea J. Cook, Rene J. Hawkes, Kristin Delaney, Richard A. Deyo. A Randomized Trial Comparing Yoga, Stretching, and a Self-care Book for Chronic Low Back Pain. Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171(22): 2019-2026.
- Benjamin Waller, Johan Lambeck, and Daniel Daly. Therapeutic aquatic exercise in the treatment of low back pain: a systematic review. Clinical Rehabilitation 2009; 23: 3–14.
- An Bogaerts, Christophe Delecluse, Steven Boonen, Albrecht L. Claessens, Koen Milisen, Sabine M.P. Verschueren . Changes in balance, functional performance and fall risk following whole body vibration training and vitamin D supplementation in institutionalized elderly women. A 6-month randomized controlled trial. Gait & Posture 33 (2011) 466–472.
- Ellen W Chen, Amy S. N. Fu, K.M.Chan, William W.N.Tsang.. The effects of Tai Chi on the balance control of elderly persons with visual impairment: a randomised clinical trial. Age and Ageing 2012; 41: 254–259.
- Lindy Clemson, Maria Fiatarone Singh, Anita Bundy, Robert G. Cumming, Elvina Weissel, Jo Munro, Kate Manollaras and Deborah Black. LiFE Pilot Study: A randomised trial of balance and strength training embedded in daily life activity to reduce falls in older adults. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal (2010) 57, 42–50.
- Howe TE, Rochester L, Neil F, Skelton DA, Ballinger C. Exercise for improving balance in older people. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011, Issue 11. Art. No.: CD004963. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004963.pub3.
- Vassilia Hatzitakia, Ioannis G. Amiridisc, Thomas Nikodelisb, Styliani Spiliopoulouc. Direction-Induced Effects of Visually Guided Weight-Shifting Training on Standing Balance in the Elderly. Gerontology 2009; 55:145–152.
- Makoto Hiyamizu, Shu Morioka, Koji Shomoto and Tomoaki Shimada. Effects of dual task balance training on dual task performance in elderly people: a randomized controlled trial. Clinical Rehabilitation. 2011. 26(1) 58–67.
- Leung, Daniel P K, Chan, Carol K L, Tsang, Hector W H, Tsang, William W N, Jones Y M. Tai Chi as an Intervention to Improve Balance and Reduce Falls in Older Adults: A Systematic and Meta-analyticReview. Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine; Jan/Feb 2011; 17, 1; ProQuest Central pg. 40.
- Karen Z. H. Li, E. Roudaia, M. Lussier, L. Bherer, A. Leroux, and P. A. McKinley. Benefits of Cognitive Dual-Task Training on Balance Performance in Healthy Older Adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2010 December; 65A (12):1344–1352.
- Teresa Liu-Ambrose, Meghan G. Donaldson, Yasmin Ahamed, Peter Graf, Wendy L. Cook, Jacqueline Close, Stephen R. Lord, and Karim M. Khan. Otago Home-Based Strength and Balance Retraining Improves Executive Functioning in Older Fallers: A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAGS 56:1821–1830, 2008.
- Shu Morioka, Makoto Hiyamizu, Tahahiko Fukumoto Yasunori Kataoka and Fumio Yagi Effects of plantar hardness discrimination training on standing postural balance in the elderly: a randomized controlled trial. Clinical Rehabilitation 2009; 23: 483–491.
- Shinya Ogaya, Tome Ikezoe, Naoki Soda and Noriaki Ichihashi. Effects of Balance Training using wobble boards in the Elderly. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2011. 25(9)/2616–2622.
- Rhonda Orr, Jacqui Raymond and Maria Fiatarone Singh. Efficacy of Progressive Resistance Training on Balance Performance in Older Adults A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials. Sports Med 2008; 38 (4): 317-343.
- Hyuntae Park, Kang Jung Kim, Taiki Komatsu Sang Kab Park, Yoshiteru Mutoh. Effect of combined exercise training on bone, body balance, and gait ability: a randomized controlled study in community-dwelling elderly women. J Bone Miner Metab (2008) 26:254–259.
- Patima Silsupadol, Vipul Lugade, Anne Shumway-Cook, Paul van Donkelaar, Li-Shan Chou, Ulrich Mayr, Marjorie H. Woollacott. Training-related changes in dual-task walking performance of elderly persons with balance impairment: A double blind randomized controlled trial. Gait & Posture 29 (2009) 634–639.
- Silsupadol P, Shumway-Cook A, Lugade V, van Donkelaar P, Chou LS, Mayr U, Woollacott MH. Effects of single-task versus dual-task training on balance performance in older adults: a double blind, randomized controlled trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2009; 90:381-87.
- Andrea Trombetti,Me ́lany Hars, Francois R. Herrmann, Reto W. Kressig, Serge Ferrari, Rene ́ Rizzoli. Effect of Music-Based Multitask Training on Gait, Balance, and Fall Risk in Elderly People. A Randomized Controlled Trial. Archiv Internal Med. VOL 171 (NO. 6), Mar 28, 2011.
- Wanderley FS, Alburquerque-Sendín F, Par- izotto NA, Rebelatto JR. Effect of plantar vibration stimuli on the balance of older women: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2011; 92:199-206.
- Freerk T. Baumann & Eva M. Zopf & Wilhelm Bloch. Clinical exercise interventions in prostate cancer patients—a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Support Care Cancer (2012) 20:221–233.
- Bobby Cheema, Catherine A. Gaul, Kirstin Lane, Maria A. Fiatarone Singh. Progressive resistance training in breast cancer: a systematic review of clinical trials. Breast Cancer Res Treat (2008) 109:9–26.
- Lynette L. Craft, Erik H. VanIterson, Irene B. Helenowski, Alfred W. Rademaker, and Kerry S. Courneya. Exercise Effects on Depressive Symptoms in Cancer Survivors: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; 21(1); 3–19. 2011 AACR.
- Fiona Cramp & Abigail James & Jessica Lambert . The effects of resistance training on quality of life in cancer: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Support Care Cancer (2010) 18:1367–1376.
- DA Galvao, K Nosaka, DR Taaffe, J Peake, N Spry K Suzuki, K Yamaya, MR McGuigan, LJ Kristjanson and RU Newton. Endocrine and immune responses to resistance training in prostate cancer patients. Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases (2008) 11, 160–165.
- Daniel A. Galvao, Dennis R. Taaffe, Nigel Spry, David Joseph, and Robert U. Newton. Combined Resistance and Aerobic Exercise Program Reverses Muscle Loss in Men Undergoing Androgen Suppression Therapy for Prostate Cancer Without Bone Metastases: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Clin Oncol 28:340-347. 2009.
- Margaret L. McNeely, Matthew B. Parliament, Hadi Seikaly, Naresh Jha, David J. Magee, Mark J. Haykowsky, Kerry S. Courneya. Effect of Exercise on Upper Extremity Pain and Dysfunction in Head and Neck Cancer Survivors A Randomized Controlled Trial. Cancer 2008; 113:2 14–22.
- Miriam C. Morey, Denise C. Snyder, Richard Sloane, Harvey Jay Cohen, Bercedis Peterson, Terryl J. Hartman, Paige Miller, Diane C. Mitchell, Wendy Demark-Wahnefried. Effects of Home-Based Diet and Exercise on Functional Outcomes Among Older, Overweight Long-term Cancer Survivors. RENEW: A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA, May 13, 2009—Vol 301, No. 18
- Line M. Oldervoll, Jon H Loge, Stian Lydersen, Hanne Palitel, May B. Unni V. Nygaard, Elisabeth Oredalen, Tone L Frantzen, Ingvild Lesterbery, Lise Amundsen, Marianne J. Hjermstad, Dagny F. Haugen, Ørnluf Paulsen, Stein Kaasa. Physical Exercise for Cancer Patients with Advanced Disease: A Randomized Controlled Trial. The Oncologist 2011; 16:1649–1657.
- Kathryn H. Schmitz, Rehana L. Ahmed, Andrea Troxel, Andrea Cheville, Rebecca Smith, Lorita Lewis-Grant, Cathy J. Bryan, Catherine T. Williams-Smith, and Quincy P. Greene. Weight Lifting in Women with Breast- Cancer–Related Lymphedema. N Engl J Med 2009; 361:664-73.
- Kathryn H. Schmitz, Rehana L. Ahmed, Andrea B. Troxel, Andrea Cheville, Lorita Lewis-Grant, Rebecca Smith, Cathy J. Bryan, Catherine T. Williams-Smith, Jesse Chittams. Weight Lifting for Women at Risk for Breast Cancer–Related Lymphedema A Randomized Trial. JAMA. 2010; 304(24):2699-2705.
- Roanne J. Segal, Robert D. Reid, Kerry S. Courneya, Ronald J. Sigal, Glen P. Kenny, Denis G. Prud’Homme, Shawn C. Malone, George A. Wells, Chris G. Scott, and Monika E. Slovinec D’Angelo. Randomized Controlled Trial of Resistance or Aerobic Exercise in Men Receiving Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer. J Clin Oncol 27:344-351. 2008.
- Kerri M. Winters-Stone, Jessica Dobek, Lillian Nail, Jill A. Bennett, Michael C. Leo, Arpana Naik, Anna Schwartz. Strength training stops bone loss and builds muscle in postmenopausal breast cancer survivors: a randomized, controlled trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat (2011) 127:447–456.
- Paul J. Beckers, Johan Denollet, Nadine M. Possemiers, Floris L. Wuyts, Christiaan J. Vrints, and Viviane M. Conraads. Combined endurance-resistance training vs.endurance training in patients with chronic heart failure: a prospective randomized study. European Heart Journal (2008) 29, 1858–1866.
- Birgitta Blakstad Nilsson, Arne Westheim, and May Arna Risberg. Long-Term Effects of a Group-Based High-Intensity Aerobic Interval-Training Program in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure. Am J Cardiol 2008; 102:1220–1224.
- Peter H. Brubaker, J. Brian Moore, Kathryn P. Stewart, Debra J. Wesley and Dalane W. Kitzman. Endurance Exercise Training in Older Patients with Heart Failure: Results from a Randomized, Controlled, Single-Blind Trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 57:1982–1989, 2009.
- Edward J. Davies, Tiffany Moxham, Karen Rees, Sally Singh, Andrew J.S. Coats, Shah Ebrahim, Fiona Lough, and Rod S. Taylor. Exercise training for systolic heart failure: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis. European Journal of Heart Failure (2010) 12, 706–715.
- Frank Edelmann, Götz Gelbrich, Hans-Dirk Düngen, Stefan Fröhling, Rolf Wachter, Raoul Stahrenberg, Lutz Binder, Agnieszka Töpper, Diana Jahandar Lashki, Silja Schwarz, Christoph Herrmann-Lingen, Markus Löffler, Gerd Hasenfuss, Martin Halle, Burkert Pieske. Exercise Training Improves Exercise Capacity and Diastolic Function in Patients With Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction Results of the Ex-DHF (Exercise training in Diastolic Heart Failure) Pilot Study. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. Vol. 58, No. 17, 2011.
- Kathryn E. Flynn, Ileana L. Pina, David J. Whellan, Li Lin, James A. Blumenthal, Stephen J. Ellis, Lawrence J. Fine, Jonathan G. Howlett, Steven J. Keteyian, Dalane W. Kitzman, William E. Kraus,Nancy Houston Miller, Kevin A. Schulman, John A. Spertus, Christopher M. O’Connor, Kevin P. Weinfurt. Effects of Exercise Training on Health Status in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure HF-ACTION Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA. 2009; 301(14):1451-1459.
- Chueh-Lung Hwang, Chen-Lin Chien and Ying-Tai Wu. Resistance training increases 6-minute walk distance in people with chronic heart failure: a systematic review. 2010. Journal of Physiotherapy 56: 87-96.
- Andrew J. Maiorana, Louise H. Naylor, Anne Exterkate, Anne Swart, Dick H.J. Thijssen, Kaitlyn Lam, Gerry O’Driscoll, Daniel J. Green. The Impact of Exercise Training on Conduit Artery Wall Thickness and Remodeling in Chronic Heart Failure Patients. Hypertension. 2011; 57:56-62.
- Sandra Mandic, Wayne Tymchak, Daniel Kim Faculty of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada, Bill Daub, Dylan Taylor, and Mark J Haykowsky. Effects of aerobic or aerobic and resistance training on cardiorespiratory and skeletal muscle function in heart failure: a randomized controlled pilot trial. Clinical Rehabilitation 2009; 23: 207–216.
- Isao Nishi, Teruo Noguchi, Yoshitaka Iwanaga, Shinichi Furuichi, Naohiko Aihara, Hiroshi Takaki, Yoichi Goto. Effects of Exercise Training in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure and Advanced Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction Receivingβ-Blockers. Circ J 2011; 75: 1649 – 1655.
- Christopher M. O’Connor, David J. Whellan, MHS Kerry L. Lee, Steven J. Keteyian, Lawton S. Cooper, Stephen J. Ellis, Eric S. Leifer, William E. Kraus, Dalane W. Kitzman, James A. Blumenthal, David S. Rendall, Nancy Houston Miller, Jerome L. Fleg, Kevin A. Schulman, Robert S. McKelvie, Faiez Zannad, Ileana L. Pina. Efficacy and Safety of Exercise Training in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure HF-ACTION Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA. 2009; 301(14):1439-1450.
- Paula R. Pullen, Sameer R. Nagamia, Puja K. Mehta, Walter R. Thompson, Dan Benardot, Ramadan Hammoud, Janice M. Parrott, Srikanth Sola and Bobby V. Khan. Effects of Yoga on Inflammation and Exercise Capacity in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure. Journal of Cardiac Failure Vol. 14 No. 5 2008.
- Denise Maria Servantes, Ama ́lia Pelcerman, Xiomara Miranda Salvetti, Ana Fa ́tima Salles, Pedro Ferreira de Albuquerque, Fernando Cezar Alves de Salles, Cleide Lopes, Marco Tu ́lio de Mello, Dirceu Rodrigues Almeida and Japy Angelini Oliveira Filho. Effects of home-based exercise training for patients with chronic heart failure and sleep apnoea: a randomized comparison of two different programmes. Clinical Rehabilitation 26(1) 45–57. 2011.
- Ueno LM; Drager LF; Rodrigues ACT; Rondon MUPB; Braga AMFW; Mathias W; Krieger EM; Barretto ACP; Middlekauff HR; Lorenzi- Filho G; Negrão CE. Effects of exercise training in patients with chronic heart failure and sleep apnea. SLEEP 2009; 32(5):637-647.
- An M Van Berendoncks, Anne Garnier, Paul Beckers, Vicky Y Hoymans, Nadine Possemiers, Dominique Fortin, Viviane Van Hoof, Sylvia Dewilde, Christiaan J Vrints, Ren ́ee Ventura-Clapier, Viviane M Conraads. Exercise training reverses adiponectin resistance in skeletal muscle of patients with chronic heart failure. Heart 2011; 97:1403-1409.
Chronic Lung Disease
- Marie-Kathrin Breyer, Robab Breyer-Kohansal, Georg-Christian Funk, Nicole Dornhofer, Martijn A Spruit, Emiel FM Wouters, Otto C Burghuber, Sylvia Hartl. Nordic Walking improves daily physical activities in COPD: a randomised controlled trial. Respiratory Research 2010, 11:112
- Stefania Costi, Ernesto Crisafulli, Francesca Degli Antoni, Claudio Beneventi, Leonardo M. Fabbri, and Enrico M. Clini. Effects of Unsupported Upper Extremity Exercise Training in Patients With COPD. A Randomized Clinical Trial. CHEST 2009; 136:387–395.
- Thomas E. Dolmage and Roger S. Goldstein. Effects of One-Legged Exercise Training of Patients With COPD. CHEST 2008; 133:370–376.
- Regina WM Leung, Jennifer A Alison, Zoe J McKeough and Matthew J Peters. Ground walk training improves functional exercise capacity more than cycle training in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): A randomised trial. Journal of Physiotherapy 2010 Vol. 56. 105 – 112.
- A. M. W. Petersen, B. Mittendorfer, F. Magkos, M. Iversen, B. K. Pedersen. Physical activity counteracts increased whole-body protein breakdown in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2008: 18: 557–564.
- Gloria Y Yeh, David H Roberts, Peter M Wayne, Roger B Davis, Mary T Quilty, and Russell S Phillips. Tai Chi Exercise for Patients With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: A Pilot Study. Respir Care 2010; 55(11): 1475–1482.
Chronic Renal Failure
- Vaidyanatha S. Balakrishnan, Madhumathi Rao, Vandana Menon, Patricia L. Gordon, Monika Pilichowska, Francisco Castaneda, and Carmen Castaneda-Sceppa. Resistance Training Increases Muscle Mitochondrial Biogenesis in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5: 996–1002, 2010.
- Y. Baia W. Sigalaa G.R. Adamsb N.D. Vaziria, b. Effect of Exercise on Cardiac Tissue Oxidative and Inflammatory Mediators in Chronic Kidney Disease. Am J Nephrol 2009; 29:213–221.
- Eva Segura-Orti and Kirsten L. Johansen. Exercise in End-Stage Renal Disease. Seminars in Dialysis—Vol 23, No 4 (July–August) 2010 pp. 422–430.
- Laura D. Baker, Laura L. Frank, Karen Foster-Schubert, Pattie S. Green, Charles W. Wilkinson, Anne McTiernan, Stephen R. Plymate, Mark A. Fishel, G. Stennis Watson, Brenna A. Cholerton, Glen E. Duncan, Pankaj D. Mehta, Suzanne Craft. Effects of Aerobic Exercise on Mild Cognitive Impairment. A Controlled Trial. Arch Neurol . 2010;67(1):71-79.
- L H P Eggermont, D F Swaab, E M Hol, E J A Scherder. Walking the line: a randomised trial on the effects of a short term walking programme on cognition in dementia. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2009; 80:802–804.
- Kirk I. Erickson, Michelle W. Vossb, Ruchika Shaurya Prakash, Chandramallika Basak, Amanda Szabo, Laura Chaddockb, Jennifer S. Kim, Susie Heob, Heloisa Alvesb, Siobhan M. White, Thomas R. Wojcicki, Emily Mailey, Victoria J. Vieira, Stephen A. Martin, Brandt D. Pence, Jeffrey A. Woods, Edward McAuleyb and Arthur F. Kramer. Exercise training increases size of hippocampus and improves memory. PNAS. Feb15, 2011 Vol 108 (7); 3017 – 3022.
- C. L. Williams & R. M. Tappen (2008): Exercise training for depressed older adults with Alzheimer’s disease, Aging & Mental Health, 12:1, 72-80.
- Y.-S. Kwak, S.-Y. Um, T.-G. Son3 D.-J. Kim. Effect of Regular Exercise on Senile Dementia Patients. Int J Sports Med 2008; 29:471 – 474
- Patrick Callaghan, Elizabeth Khalil, Ioannis Morres and Tim Carter. Pragmatic randomised controlled trial of preferred intensity exercise in women living with depression. BMC Public Health 2011, 11:465.
- Sebastian Eriksson, Gunvor Gard. Systematic Review Physical exercise and depression. Physical Therapy Reviews 2011 VOL. 16 NO. 4: 261- 268
- Jesper Krogh, Merete Nordentoft, Mahdi Mohammad-Nezhad, Åsa Westrin. Growth hormone, prolactin and cortisol response to exercise in patients with depression. Journal of Affective Disorders 125 (2010) 189–197.
- M. G. V. van het Hoofd, H. Roelse, G. Kwakkel, V. P. M. Schepers, I. G. L. van de Port. Does exercise therapy affect depression or depressive symptoms after stroke? Physical Therapy Reviews 2011 VOL. 16 NO. 3; 191-200.
- American College of Sports Medicine and the American Diabetes Association. Exercise and Type 2 Diabetes. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise and Diabetes Care. 2010.
- Jeanine B. Albu, Leonie K. Heilbronn, David E. Kelley, Steven R. Smith, Koichiro Azuma, Evan S. Berk, F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer, Eric Ravussin. Metabolic Changes Following a 1-Year Diet and Exercise Intervention in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes 59:627–633, 2010.
- Ekta Arora, Shweta Shenoy & J.S. Sandhu. Effects of resistance training on metabolic profile of adults with type 2 diabetes. Indian J Med Res 129, May 2009, pp 515-519.
- Elisabetta Bacchi, carlo Negri, Maria Elisabetta Zanolin, Chiara Milanese, Niccolo Faccioli, Maddalena Trombetta, Giacomo Zoppini. Metabolic Effects of Aerobic Training and Resistance Training in Type 2 Diabetic Subjects. A randomized controlled trial (the RAED2 study). Diabetes Care 35:676–682, 2012.
- Anna Chudyk, Robert J Petrella. Effects of Exercise on Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Type 2 Diabetes. A meta-analysis. Diabetes Care 34:1228–1237, 2011.
- N.D. Cohen, D.W. Dunstan, C. Robinson, E. Vulikh, P.Z. Zimmet, J.E. Shaw. Improved endothelial function following a 14-month resistance exercise training program in adults with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes research and clinical practice 79 (2008) 405–411.
- Katherine I. Ites, Elizabeth J. Anderson, Megan L. Cahill, Jenny A. Kearney, Emily C. Post, Laura S. Gilchrist. Balance Interventions for Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: A Systematic Review. J Geriatr Phys Ther 2011; 34:109-116.
- Itamar Levinger, Steve Selig, Craig Goodman, George Jermus, Andrew Stewart and david L Har. Resistance training improves depressive symptoms in individuals at high risk for type 2 diabetes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. Vol 25 (8). August 2011; 2329 – 2348
- Pietro Lucottia, Lucilla D. Montib, Emanuela Setolaa, Elena Gallucciob, Roberto Gattic,d, Emanuele Bosi a,b,d, PierMarco Piatti. Aerobic and resistance training effects compared to aerobic training alone in obese type 2 diabetic patients on diet treatment. Diabetes research and clinical practice 94 (2011) 395–403.
- Belinda J. Parmentera, Jacqueline Raymond, Paul Dinnen, Maria A. Fiatarone Singh. A systematic review of randomized controlled trials: Walking versus alternative exercise prescription as treatment for intermittent claudication. Atherosclerosis 218 (2011) 1–12
- William R. Sukala, Rachel Page, David S. Rowlands , Jeremy Krebs, Isabelle Lys, Murray Leikis , Jan Pearce, Birinder S. Cheema. South Pacific Islanders resist type 2 diabetes: comparison of aerobic and resistance training. Eur J Appl Physiol (2012) 112:317–325
- Swift, D. L., N.M. Johansen, C.O. Earnest, S.N. Blair and T.S. Church. Effect of Exercise Training Modality on C- Reactive Protein in Type 2 Diabetes. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 44, No. 6, pp. 1028–1034, 2012.
- Mark A. Tresierras and Gary J. Balady. Resistance Training in the Treatment of Diabetes and Obesity. Mechanisms and Outcomes. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention 2009;29:67–75.
- Daniel Umpierre, Paula A. B. Ribeiro, Caroline K. Kramer, Cristiane B. Leitao, Alessandra T. N. Zucatti, Mirela J. Azevedo, Jorge L. Gross, Jorge P. Ribeiro, Beatriz D. Schaan. Physical Activity Advice Only or Structured Exercise Training and Association With HbA1c Levels in Type 2 Diabetes. A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA. 2011; 305(17):1790-1799.
- Jan-Willem Van Dijk, Kyra Tummers, Coen D.A. Stehouwer. Exercise Therapy in Type 2 Diabetes Is daily exercise required to optimize glycemic control? Diabetes Care 35:948–954, 2012.
- Yi Wang, David Simar, Maria A. Fiatarone Singh. Adaptations to exercise training within skeletal muscle in adults with type 2 diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance: a systematic review. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 2009; 25: 13–40.
- Catherine M. Dean, Chris Rissel, Catherine Sherrington, Michelle Sharkey, Robert G. Cumming, Stephen R. Lord, Ruth N. Barker, Catherine Kirkham, and Sandra O’Rourke.Exercise to Enhance Mobility and Prevent Falls After Stroke: The Community Stroke Club Randomized Trial. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair 26(9) 1046–1057.
- Victoria A Goodwin, Suzanne H Richards, William Henley, Paul Ewings, Adrian H Taylor, John L Campbell. An exercise intervention to prevent falls in people with Parkinson’s disease: a pragmatic randomised controlled trial. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2011; 82:1232e1238.
- Catherine Sherrington, Julie C. Whitney, Stephen R. Lord, Robert D. Herbert, Robert G. Cumming, and Jacqueline C. T. Close. Effective Exercise for the Prevention of Falls: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Am Geriatr Soc 56:2234–2243, 2008.
- Emily M. Simek, Lucy McPhate , Terry P. Haines. Adherence to and efficacy of home exercise programs to prevent falls: A systematic review and meta-analysis of the impact of exercise program characteristics. Preventive Medicine 55 (2012) 262–275
- Susie Thomas, Shylie Mackintosh, Julie Halbert. Does the ‘Otago exercise programme’ reduce mortality and falls in older adults? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Age and Ageing 2010; 39: 681–687.
- José I. Botella-Carretero, Borja Iglesias, José A. Balsa, Isabel Zamarrón, Francisco Arrieta, and Clotilde Vázquez. Effects of Oral Nutritional Supplements in Normally Nourished or Mildly Undernourished Geriatric Patients After Surgery for Hip Fracture: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2008; 32; 120 – 128.
- Kathleen K. Mangione, Rebecca L. Craik, Kerstin M. Palombaro, Susan S. Tomlinson, and Mary T. Hofmann. Home-Based Leg-Strengthening Exercise Improves Function 1 Year After Hip Fracture: A Randomized Controlled Study. JAGS 58:1911–1917, 2010
- Denise L. Orwig, Marc Hochberg, Janet Yu-Yahiro, Barbara Resnick, William G. Hawkes, Michelle Shardell, J. Richard Hebel, Perry Colvin. Delivery and Outcomes of a Yearlong Home Exercise Program After Hip Fracture. A Randomized Controlled Trial. Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171(4): 323-331.
- Lloyd, B.D., Williamson, D.A., Singh, N.A., Hansen, R.D., Diamond, T.H., Finnegan, T.P., Allen, B.J., Grady, J.N., Stavrinos, T.M., Smith, E.U., Diwan, A.D., and Fiatarone Singh, M.A. (2009) Recurrent and Injurious Falls in the Year Following Hip Fracture: A Prospective Study of Incidence and Risk Factors from the Sarcopenia and Hip Fracture Study. The Journals of Gerontology. Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 64(5): 599-609.
- Singh NA, Quine S, Clemson L, Williams E, Williamson D, Stavrinos T, Grady J, Perry T, Lloyd B, Smith E, Fiatarone Singh M. “Effects of High-Intensity Progressive Resistance Training and Targeted Multidisciplinary Treatment of Frailty on Mortality and Nursing Home Admissions after Hip Fracture: A Randomized Controlled Trial”. JAMDA 13 (2012) 24-30.
- Hilde Sylliaas, Therese Brovold, Trogeir Bruun Wylleri, Astrid Bergland. Prolonged strength training in older patients after hip fracture: a randomised controlled trial. Age and Ageing 2012; 41: 206–212.
- Lena Ziden Kerstin Frandin and Margareta Kreuter. Home rehabilitation after hip fracture. A randomized controlled study on balance confidence, physical function and everyday activities. Clinical Rehabilitation 2008; 22: 1019–1033.
Inclusion Body Myositis
- Gualano, B., M.Neves JR, F.R. Lima, A. L. Pinto, G. Laurentino, C. Borges, L. Baptista, G. G. Artiolo, M. S. Aoki, A. Moriscot, A. H. Lancha JR, E. Bonfa and C. Ugrinowitsch. Resistance Training with Vascular Occlusion in Inclusion Body Myositis: A Case Study. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 250–254, 2010.
Ischaemic Heart Disease
- Trine T. Moholdt, Brage H. Amundsen, Lene Annette Rustad, Alexander Wahba, Kjersti T. Løvø, Lisbeth R. Gullikstad, Anja Bye, Eirik Skogvoll, Ulrik Wisløff, and Stig A. Slørdahl. Aerobic interval training versus continuous moderate exercise after coronary artery bypass surgery: A randomized study of cardiovascular effects and quality of life. Am Heart J 2009; 158:1031-7.
- Naomi E. Brooks, Samuel M. Cadena, Edouardo Vannier, Gregory Cloutier, Silvia Carambula, Kathryn H. Myburgh, Ronenn Boubenoff and Carmen Castaneda-Sceppa. Effects of resistance exercise combined with essential amoino acid supplementationand energy deficit on markers of skeletal muscle atrophy and regeneration during ned rest and active recovery. Muscle Nerve 42: 927–935, 2010
- AK Andreasen, E Stenager and U Dalgas. The effect of exercise therapy on fatigue in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler 2011 17: 1041-1042.
- CL Barrett, GE Mann, PN Taylor and P Strike. A randomized trial to investigate the effects of functional electrical stimulation and therapeutic exercise on walking performance for people with multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler 2009 15: 493-504
- Cakıt BD, Nacir B, Genc ̧ H, Saracoglu M, Karagoz A, Erdem HR, Ergun U: Cycling progressive resistance training for people with multiple sclerosis: A randomized controlled study. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2010;89:446–457
- Johnny Collett, Helen Dawes, Andy Meaney, Cath Sackley, Karen Barker, Derick Wade, Hooshang Izardi, James Bateman, Joan Duda and Elizabeth Buckingham. Exercise for multiple sclerosis: a single-blind randomized trial comparing three exercise intensities. Mult Scler 2011 17: 594-603
- U Dalgas, E. Stenager, J. Jakobsen, T. Petersen, HJ Hansen, C. Knudsen, K. Overgaard and T. Ingemann-Hansen. Fatigue, mood and quality of life improve in MS patients after progressive resistance training. Mult Scler 2010 16: 480 – 490
- U Dalgas, E Stenager, J Jakobsen, T Petersen, K Overgaard and T Ingemann-Hansen. Muscle fiber size increases following resistance training in multiple sclerosis Mult Scler 2010 16: 1367 – 1376.
- C. Dettmers, M. Sulzmann, A. Ruchay-Plçssl, R. Gütler, M. Vieten. Endurance exercise improves walking distance in MS patients with fatigue. Acta Neurol Scand 2009: 120: 251–257.
- Marius S. Fimland, Jan Helgerud, Markus Gruber, Gunnar Leivseth, Jan Hoff. Enhanced neural drive after maximal strength training in multiple sclerosis patients. Eur J Appl Physiol (2010) 110:435–443.
- T Kjølhede, K Vissing and U Dalgas. Multiple sclerosis and progressive resistance training: a systematic review. Multiple Sclerosis Journal. 2012. 18(9) 1215–1228
- Robert W. Motl and Lara A. Pilutti. The benefits of exercise training in multiple sclerosis. Nat. Rev. Neurol. 8, 487–497 (2012); published online 24 July 2012; doi: 10.1038/nrneurol.2012.136
- Hossein Negahban, Razieh Mofateh, Ali Asghar Arastoo, Masood Mazaheri, Mohammad Jafar Shaterzadeh Yazdi, Mahyar Salavati, Nastaran Majdinasab. The effects of cognitive loading on balance control in patients with multiple sclerosis. Gait & Posture 34 (2011) 479–484.
- Jaana Paltamaa, Tuulikki Sjögren, Sinikka H. Peurala, and Ari Heinonen. Effects of Physiotherapy Interbentions on balance in multiple sclerosis: A Ststematic Review and meta-Analysis of randomised Controlled trrials. J Rehabil Med 2012; 44: 811–823
- Nicole M Sabapathy, Clare L Minahan, Grant T Turner and Simon A Broadley. Comparing endurance- and resistance-exercise training in people with multiple sclerosis: a randomized pilot study. Clinical Rehabilitation 2011; 25: 14–24.
- Gail L. Widener, Diane D. Allen and Cynthia Gibson-Horn. Randomized Clinical Trial of Balance-Based Torso Weighting for Improving Upright Mobility in People with Multiple Sclerosis. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair Volume 23 Number 8 October 2009, 784-791.
- Brad J. Scheonfeld. Does exercise-induced muscle damage play a role in skeletal muscle hypertrophy? Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. May 2012. Vol 26 (5) 1441-1453.
- Tomer Bezalel, Eli Carmeli, Michal Katz-Leurer. The effect of a group education programme on pain and function through knowledge acquisition and home-based exercise among patients with knee osteoarthritis: A parallel randomised single blind clinical trial. Physiotherapy 96 (2010) 137–143.
- Yvette Bulthuis, Sabrina Mohammad, Louise M. A. Braakman-Jansen, K. Wiepke Drossaers-Bakker and Martin A. F. J Van De Laar. Cost-Effectiveness of Intensive Exercise Therapy Directly Following Hospital Discharge in Patients With Arthritis: Results of a Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial. Arthritis & Rheumatism (Arthritis Care & Research) Vol. 59, No. 2, February 15, 2008, pp 247–254.
- Lisa Cadmus, Marsha B. Patrick, mathew L. Maciejewski, tari Topolski, basia Belza and Donald L. patrick. Community-Based Aquatic Exercise and Quality of Life in Persons with Osteoarthritis. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 8–15, 2010.
- Leigh F. Callahan, Thelma Mielenz, Janet Freburger, jack Shreffler, jennifer Hootman, teresa Brady, Katherine Buysse and Todd Schwartz. A Randomized Controlled Trial of the People With Arthritis Can Exercise Program: Symptoms, Function, Physical Activity, and Psychosocial Outcomes. Arthritis & Rheumatism (Arthritis Care & Research) Vol. 59, No. 1, January 15, 2008, pp 92–101.
- Doi T, Akai M, Fujino K, Iwaya T, Kurosawa H, Hayashi K, Marui E: Effect of home exercise of quadriceps on knee osteoarthritis compared with nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2008; 87:258 –269.
- Y. Escalante, A. García-Hermoso, J.M. Saavedra. Effects of exercise on functional aerobic capacity in lower limb osteoarthritis: A systematic review. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 14 (2011) 190–198.
- L. Fernandesyz, K. Storheimyz, L. Sandvikx, L. Nordslettenk M.A. Risberg. Efficacy of patient education and supervised exercise vs patient education alone in patients with hip osteoarthritis: a single blind randomized clinical trial. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 18 (2010) 1237e1243.
- Fransen M, McConnell S, Hernandez-Molina G, Reichenbach S. Exercise for osteoarthritis of the hip. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD007912. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007912.
- Fransen M, McConnell S. Exercise for osteoarthritis of the knee. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD004376. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004376.pub2.
- Mei-Hwa Jan, Jiu-Jeng Lin, Jiann-Jong Liau, Yeong-Fwu Lin and Da-Hon Lin Investigation of Clinical Effects of High- and Low-Resistance Training for Patients With Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Phys Ther. 2008; 88:427-436. Originally published online January 24, 2008.
- Jan M-H, Lin C-H, Lin Y-F, Lin J-J, Lin D. H. Effects of weight bearing versus non weight-bearing exercise on function, walking speed, and position sense in participants with knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2009; 90:897-904.
- Riikka Juhakoski, Seppo Tenhonen, Antti Malmivaara, Vesa Kiviniemi, Tapio Anttonen and Jari PA Arokoski. A pragmatic randomized controlled study of the effectiveness and cost consequences of exercise therapy in hip osteoarthritis. Clin Rehabil 2011 25: 370 originally published online 15 November 2010.
- Da-Hon Lin, Chien-Ho Janice Lin, Yeong Fwu Lin amd Mei-Hwa Jan. Efficacy of 2 Non–Weight-Bearing Interventions, Proprioception Training Versus Strength Training, for Patients With Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Journal of orthopaedic & sports physical therapy june 2009 . Volume 39 (6).450-457.
- Hans Lund, Ulla Weile, Robin Christensen, Benedicte Rostock, Anne Downey, Else Marie Bartels, Bente Danneskiold-Samsøe, and Henning Bliddal. A Randomised Controlled Trial of Aquatic and Land-based Exercise in patinets with knee Osteoarthritis. J Rehabil Med 2008; 40: 137–144
- Brian G Pietrosimone, Susan A Saliba, Joseph M Hart, Jay Hertel, D. Casey Kerrigan and Christopher D Ingersoll. Effects of disinhibitory transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation and therapeutic exercise on sagittal plane peak knee kinematics and kinetics in people with knee osteoarthritis during gait: a randomized controlled trial. Clin Rehabil 2010 24: 1091 originally published online 16 August 2010.
- Effects of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation and Therapeutic Exercise on Quadriceps Activation in People With Tibiofemoral Osteoarthritis. Journal of orthopaedic & sports physical. Jan 2011. Vol 41 (1); 4-11.
- M.F. Pisters, C. Veenhof F.G. Schellevis D.H. De Bakker J. Dekker. Long-term effectiveness of exercise therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee: a randomized controlled trial comparing two different physical therapy interventions. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 18 (2010) 1019-1026.
- Reid DA, McNair PJ. Effects of a six-week lower limb stretching programme on range of motion, peak passive torque and stiffness in people with and without osteoarthritis of the knee. New Zealand Journal of Physiotherapy 2011. 39(1) 05-12.
- Ali Sallia, Nilay Sahina, Akin Baskentb and Hatice Ugurlua. The effect of two exercise programs on various functional outcome measures in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Isokinetics and Exercise Science 18 (2010) 201–209 201
- Improving Physical Activity and Function in Overweight and Obese Older Adults with Psteoarthritis of the knee: A feasibility Study. Schlenk, Elizabeth A, Lias, Jennifer L, Sereika, Susan M, Dunbar-Jacob, Jacqueline and C,Kent Kwoh. Rehabilitation Nursing; Jan/Feb 2011; 36, 1; ProQuest. Central pg. 32
- Sevick, M. A., G.D. Miller, R. F. Loeser, J. D. Williamson and S. P. Messier. Cost-Effectiveness of Exercise and Diet in Overweight and Obese Adults with Knee Osteoarthritis. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. Vol. 41, No. 6, pp. 1167–1174, 2009.
- Ian Shrier, David Zukor, Jean-Francois Boivin, Jean-Paul Collet, Michael Tanzer, Debbie Feldman, Ashley Naimi, Michel Rossignol, Francois Prince. The Feasibility of a Randomized Trial Using a Progressive Exercise Program in Patients with Severe Hip Osteoarthritis. Journal of Musculoskeletal Pain, Vol. 16(4), 2008
- Mei-Hwa Jan, Pei-Fang tang, Jiu-Jeng Lin, Shih-Chiao Tseng, Yeong-Fwu Lin, Da-Hon Lin. Efficacy of a Target-Matching Foot-Stepping Exercise on Proprioception and Function in Patients With Knee Osteoarthritis. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2008; 38(1):19-25.
- Burke TN, Franc ̧a FJR, de Meneses SRF, Cardoso VI, Marques AP: Postural control in elderly persons with osteoporosis: Efficacy of an intervention program to improve balance and muscle strength: A randomized controlled trial. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2010; 89:549–556.
- Sarah Turner, Margaret Torode, Mike Climstein, Geraldine Naughton, David Greene, Michael K. Baker and Maria A. Fiatarone Singh. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Whole Body Vibration Exposure on Markers of Bone Turnover in Postmenopausal Women. Journal of Osteoporosis Volume 2011, Article ID 710387, 10 pages.
- Jay L. Alberts, Susan M. Linder, Amanda L. Penko, Mark J. Lowe, and Micheal Phillips. It Is Not About the Bike, It Is About the Pedaling: Forced Exercise and Parkinson’s Disease: Forced Exercise and Parkinson’s Disease. Exerc. Sport Sci. Rev., Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 177-186, 2011.
- Natalie E. Allen, Colleen G. Canning, Catherine Sherrington, Stephen R. Lord, Mark D. Latt, Jacqueline C.T. Close, Sandra D. O’Rourke, Susan M. Murray, and Victor S.C. Fung, The Effects of an Exercise Program on Fall Risk Factors in People with Parkinson’s Disease: A Randomized Controlled Trial Movement Disorders. Vol. 25, No. 9, 2010, pp. 1217–1225.
- Natalie E. Allen, Catherine Sherrington, Serene S. Paul, and Colleen G. Canning. Balance and Falls in Parkinson’s Disease: A Meta-analysis of the Effect of Exercise and Motor Training. Movement Disorders, Vol. 26, No. 9, 2011.
- Natalie E. Allen, Catherine Sherrington, Gayanthi D. Suriyarachchi, Serene S. Paul, Jooeun Song, and Colleen G. Canning. Exercise and Motor Training in People with Parkinson’s Disease: A Systematic Review of Participant Characteristics, Intervention Delivery, Retention Rates, Adherence, and Adverse Events in Clinical Trials. Parkinson’s Disease Volume 2012, Article ID 854328, 15 pages.
- Colleen G Canning, Louise Ada and Elke Woodhouse. Multiple- task walking training in people with mild to moderate Parkinson’s disease: a pilot study. Clin Rehabil 2008 22: 226
- Mehrholz J, Friis R, Kugler J, Twork S, Storch A, Pohl M. Treadmill training for patients with Parkinson’s disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2010, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD007830. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007830.pub2.
- Natalie de Bruin, Jon B. Doan, George Turnbull, Oksana Suchowersky, Stephan Bonfield, Bin Hu, and Lesley A. Brown. Walking with Music Is a Safe and Viable Tool for Gait Training in Parkinson’s Disease: The Effect of a 13-Week Feasibility Study on Single and Dual Task Walking. Parkinson’s Disease Volume 2010, Article ID 483530, 9 pages.
- Georg Ebersbach, Almut Ebersbach, Daniela Edler, Olaf Kaufhold, Matthias Kusch, Andreas Kupsch, and Joerg Wissel. Comparing Exercise in Parkinson’s Disease—The Berlin LSVT1BIG Study. Movement Disorders Vol. 25, No. 12, 2010, pp. 1902–1908. 2010.
- Roy Elbers, Erwin E.H. van Wegen, Lynn Rochester, Victoria Hetherington, Alice Nieuwboer, Anne-Marie Willems, Diana Jones, and Gert Kwakkel. Is Impact of Fatigue an Independent Factor Associated with Physical Activity in Patients with Idiopathic Parkinson’s Disease? Movement Disorders, Vol. 24, No. 10, 2009, pp. 1512–1518. 2009.
- Fabian J. David, Miriam R. Rafferty, Julie A. Robichaud, Janey Prodoehl, Wendy M. Kohrt, David E. Vaillancourt, and Daniel M. Corcos. Progressive Resistance Exercise and Parkinson’s Disease: A Review of Potential Mechanisms. Parkinson’s Disease Volume 2012, Article ID 124527, 10 pages.
- Michael J. Falvo, Brian K. Schilling, and Gammon M. Earhart. Parkinson’s Disease and Resistive Exercise: Rationale, Review, and Recommendations. Movement Disorders Vol. 23, No. 1, 2008, pp. 1-11.
- Beth E. Fisher, Allan D. Wu, George J. Salem, Jooeun Song, Chien-Ho (Janice) Lin, Jeanine Yip, , Steven Cen, James Gordon, Michael Jakowec, Giselle Petzinger. The Effect of Exercise Training in Improving Motor Performance and Corticomotor Excitability in People With Early Parkinson’s DiseaseArch Phys Med Rehabil Vol 89, July 2008.
- Pamela Fok, Michael Farrell, Joan McMeeken. The effect of dividing attention between walking and auxiliary tasks in people with Parkinson’s disease. Human Movement Science 31 (2012) 236–246.
- Victoria A. Goodwin, Suzanne H. Richards, Rod S. Taylor, Adrian H. Taylor, and John L. Campbell. The Effectiveness of Exercise Interventions for People with Parkinson’s Disease: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Movement Disorders Vol. 23, No. 5, 2008, pp. 631–640.
- Victoria A Goodwin, Suzanne H Richards, William Henley, Paul Ewings, Adrian H Taylor, John L Campbell. An exercise intervention to prevent falls in people with Parkinson’s disease: a pragmatic randomised controlled trial. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2011; 82: 1232-1238.
- Madeleine E. Hackney and Gammon M. Earhart. Effects of Dance on Gait and Balance in Parkinson’s Disease: A Comparison of Partnered and Nonpartnered Dance Movement. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair 24(4) 384–392.
- Chris J. Hass, Thomas A. Buckley, Chris Pitsikoulis, Ernest J. Barthelemy. Progressive resistance training improves gait initiation in individuals with Parkinson’s disease. Gait & Posture 35 (2012) 669–673.
- Inge Lim, Erwin van Wegen, Diana Jones, Lynn Rochester, Alice Nieuwboer, Anne-Marie Willems, Katherine Baker, Vicki Hetherington, and Gert Kwakkel. Does Cueing Training Improve Physical Activity in Patients With Parkinson’s Disease? Neurorehabilitation and.Neural Repair 24(5) 469–477.
- Margaret K.Y. Mak, PhD and Christina W.Y. Hui-Chan. Cued Task-Specific Training is Better Than Exercise in Improving Sit-to-Stand in Patients with Parkinson’s Disease: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Movement Disorders. Vol. 23, No. 4, 2008, pp. 501-509.
- Meg E. Morris, Robert Iansek, and Beth Kirkwood. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Movement Strategies Compared with Exercise for People with Parkinson’s Disease. Movement Disorders, Vol. 24, No. 1, 2009, pp. 64–71.
- Thomas Muller, Siegfried Muhlack. Effect of exercise on reactivity and motor behaviour in patients with Parkinson’s disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2010; 81:747-753.
- Giselle M Petzinger, Beth E Fisher, Garnik Akopian, Daniel P Holschneider, Ruth Wood, John P Walsh, Brett Lund, Charles Meshul, Marta Vuckovic & Michael W Jakowec. The role of exercise in facilitating basal ganglia function in Parkinson’s disease. Neurodegen. Dis. Manage. (2011) 1(2), 157–170.
- Alessandro Picelli, Camilla Melotti, Francesca Origano, Andreas Waldner, Raffaele Gimigliano, Nicola Smania. Does robotic gait training improve balance in Parkinson’s disease? A randomized controlled trial. Parkinsonism and Related Disorders 18 (2012) 990-993.
- Sitjà Rabert M, Rigau Comas D, Fort Vanmeerhaeghe A, Santoyo Medina C, Roqué i Figuls M, Romero-Rodríguez D, Bonfill Cosp X. Whole-body vibration training for patients with neurodegenerative disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD009097. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD009097.pub2.
- Angela L. Ridgel, Jerrold L. Vitek, and Jay L. Alberts. Forced, Not Voluntary, Exercise Improves Motor Function in Parkinson’s Disease Patients. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair Volume 23 Number 6 July/August 2009. 600-608.
- Michael D. Sage, and Quincy J. Almeida. A Positive Influence of Vision on Motor Symptoms During Sensory Attention Focused Exercise for Parkinson’s Disease. Movement Disorders Vol. 25, No. 1, 2010, pp. 64–69.
- Michael D. Sage, and Quincy J. Almeida. Symptom and Gait Changes After Sensory Attention Focused Exercise vs Aerobic Training in Parkinson’s Disease. Movement Disorders Vol. 24, No. 8, 2009, pp. 1132–1138.
- Michael D Sage, Rose E Johnston & Quincy J Almeida. Comparison of exercise strategies for motor symptom improvement in Parkinson’s disease. Neurodegen. Dis. Manage. (2011) 1(5), 387–395
- Margaret Schenkman, Deborah A. Hall, Anna E Baron, Robert S Schwartz,Pamela Mettler, Wendy M Kohoty. Exercise for Waely – or – Mid Stage Parkinson’s Disease: A 16-month Randomised Controlled trial. Phys Ther. 2012: 92: 1395 – 1401.
- James A. Shaw, Jennifer L. Huffman, James S. Frank, Mandar S. Jog, Allan L. Adkin. The effects of skill-focused instructions on walking performance depend on movement constraints in Parkinson’s disease. Gait & Posture 33 (2011) 119–123.
- Nicola Smania, Elisabetta Corato, Michele Tinazzi, Clementina Stanzani, Antonio Fiaschi, Paolo Girardi and Marialuisa Gandolfi . Effect of Balance Training on Postural Instability in Patients With Idiopathic Parkinson’s Disease. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair 24(9) 826–834.
- Rebecca A. States, David K. Spierer, and Yasser Salem. Long-term Group Exercise for People With Parkinson’s Disease: A Feasibility Study. JNPT r Volume 35, September 2011.
- Ites, Katherine I, Anderson, Elizabeth J, Cahill, Megan L, Kearney, Jenny A, Post, Emily C; Gilchrist. Balance Interventions for Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: A Systematic Review. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy; Jul/Sep 2011; 34, 3; ProQuest Central pg. 109.
- Robin L. Kruse, Joseph W. LeMaster and Richard W. Madsen. Fall and Balance Outcomes After an Intervention to Promote Leg Strength, Balance, and Walking in People With Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: ”Feet First” Randomized Controlled Trial. PHYS THER. 2010; 90:1568-1579. Originally published online August 26, 2010.
- Antonio Nardone, Marco Godi, Alessia Artuso, Marco Schieppati. Balance Rehabilitation by Moving Platform and Exercises in Patients With Neuropathy or Vestibular Deficit. Arch Phys Med Rehabil Vol 91, December 2010.
- White CM, Pritchard J, Turner-Stokes L. Exercise for people with peripheral neuropathy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2004, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD003904. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003904.pub2.
- Strength Cindy Tofthagen, Constance Visovsky and Donna L. Berry. Strength and Balance Training for Adults With Peripheral Neuropathy and High Risk of Fall: Current Evidence and Implications for Future Research. Vol. 39, No. 5, September 2012. Oncology Nursing Forum
Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Jason D. Allen, Thomas Stabler, Aarti Kenjale, Katherine L. Ham, Jennifer L. Robbins, Brian D. Duscha Devon A. Dobrosielski, Brian H. Annex. Plasma nitrite flux predicts exercise performance in peripheral arterial disease after 3 months of exercise training. Free Radical Biology & Medicine 49 (2010) 1138–1144.
- Tim A. Beckitt, Jude Day, Maria Morgan, and Peter M. Lamont. Calf muscle oxygen saturation and the effects of supervised exercise training for intermittent claudication. Journal of vascular Surgery. Volume 56, Number 2, 470 – 475.
- T.A. Beckitt, J. Day, M. Morgan, P.M. Lamont. Skeletal Muscle Adaptation in Response to Supervised Exercise Training for Intermittent Claudication. European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery 44 (2012) 313e317.
- Tracie C. Collins, Scott Lunos, Teri Carlson, Kimberley Henderson, marissa Lightbourne, Brittney Nelson, James S. Hodges. Effects of a Home-Based Walking Intervention on Mobility and Quality of Life in People With Diabetes and Peripheral Arterial Disease. A randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Care 34:2174–2179, 2011.
- Eileen G. Collins, Susan O’Connell, Conor McBurney, Christine Jelinek, Jolene Butler, Domenic Reda, Ben S. Gerber, Christopher Hurt, Mark Grabiner. Comparison of Walking With Poles and Traditional Walking for Peripheral Arterial Disease Rehabilitation. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention 2012;32: 210-218.
- Robert G. Crowther, Warwick L. Spinks, Anthony S. Leicht, Kunwarjit Sangla, Frank Quigley, and Jonathan Golledge, MA, Mchir. Effects of a long-term exercise program on lower limb mobility, physiological responses, walking performance, and physical activity levels in patients with peripheral arterial disease. Journal of vascular Surgery. February 2008, 303-309.
- Robert G. Crowther, Warwick L. Spinks, Anthony S. Leicht, Kunwarjit Sangla, Frank Quigley, Jonathan Golledge. The influence of a long-term exercise program on lower limb movement variability and walking performance in patients with peripheral arterial disease. Human Movement Science 28 (2009) 494–503.
- Robert G Crowther, Anthony S Leicht, Warwick L Spinks, Kunwarjit Sangla, Frank Quigley, Jonathan Golledge. Effects of a 6-month exercise program pilot study on walking economy, peak physiological characteristics, and walking performance in patients with peripheral arterial disease. Vascular Health and Risk Management 2012:8 225–232.
- Farzin Fakhry, Koen M. van de Luijtgaarden, Leon Bax, P. Ted den Hoed, M. G. Myriam Hunink, Ellen V. Rouwet, and Sandra Spronk. Supervised walking therapy in patients with intermittent claudication. Journal of vascular surgery. Vol 56(4). 1132 – 1142.
- Farzin Fakhry, Sandra Spronk, Maria de Ridder, Pieter T. den Hoed, , M.G. Myriam Hunink, Long-Term Effects of Structured Home-Based Exercise Program on Functional Capacity and Quality of Life in Patients With Intermittent Claudication. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2011; 92:1066-73.
- F. A. Frans, S. Bipat, J. A. Reekers, D. A. Legemate and M. J. W. Koelemay. Systematic review of exercise training or percutaneous transluminal angioplasty for intermittent claudication. British Journal of Surgery 2012; 99: 16–28.
- Gert-Jan Lauret, Daniëlle C W van Dalen, Edith M Willigendael, Erik J M Hendriks, Rob A de Bie, Sandra Spronk and Joep A W Teijink. Supervised exercise therapy for intermittent claudication: current status and future perspectives. Vascular, Vol. 20 No. 1, pp. 12–19, 2012.
- Anthony S. Leicht, Robert G. Crowther, and Jonathan Golledge. Influence of peripheral arterial disease and supervised walking on heart rate variability. J Vasc Surg 2011; 54:1352-9.
- F.A.K. Mazari, S. Gulati, M.N.A Rahman, H.L.D. Lee, T.A. Mehta, P.T. McCollum, and I.C. Chetter, Early Outcomes From a Randomized, Controlled Trial of Supervised Exercise, Angioplasty, and Combined Therapy in Intermittent Claudication. Ann Vasc Surg 2010; 24: 69-79.
- F. A. K. Mazari, J. A. Khan, D. Carradice, N. Samuel, M. N. A. Abdul Rahman, S. Gulati, H. L. D. Lee, T. A. Mehta, P. T. McCollum and I. C. Chetter. Randomized clinical trial of percutaneous transluminal angioplasty, supervised exercise and combined treatment for intermittent claudication due to femoropopliteal arterial disease. British Journal of Surgery 2012; 99: 39–48.
- Mary M. McDermott, Philip Ades, Jack M. Guralnik, Alan Dyer, Luigi Ferrucci, Kiang Liu, Miriam Nelson, Donald Lloyd-Jones, Linda Van Horn, Daniel Garside, Melina Kibbe, Kathryn Domanchuk, James H. Stein, Yihua Liao, Huimin Tao, David Green, William H. Pearce, Joseph R. Schneider, David McPherson, Susan T. Laing, Walter J. McCarthy, Adhir Shroff, Michael H. Criqui,.Treadmill Exercise and Resistance Training in Patients With Peripheral Arterial Disease With and Without Intermittent Claudication: A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA. 2009; 301(2): 165-174.
- Mary M. McDermott, Kathryn Domanchuk, Kiang Liu, Jack M. Guralnik , Lu Tian, Michael H. Criqui, Luigi Ferrucci, Melina Kibbe, Donald-Lloyd Jones, William H. Pearce, Lihui Zhao, Bonnie Spring, W. Jack Rejeski.The Group Oriented Arterial Leg Study (GOALS) to improve walking performance in patients with peripheral arterial disease. Contemporary Clinical Trials 33 (2012) 1311–1320.
- RM Greenhalgh, JJF Belch, LC Brown, PA Gaines, L Gao, JA Reise and SG Thompson. The Adjuvant Benefit of Angioplasty in Patients with Mild to Moderate Intermittent Claudication (MIMIC) Managed by Supervised Exercise, Smoking Cessation Advice and Best Medical Therapy: Results from Two Randomised Trials for Stenotic Femoropopliteal and Aortoiliac Arterial Disease. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg (2008) 36, 680-688.
- Belinda J.Parmenter. Jacqueline Raymond and Maria A. Fiatarone Singh. The effects of Exercise om Haemodynamics in Intermittent Claudicartion. A systematic review of Randomized Controlled trials. Sports Med 2010: 40(5): 433 – 447.
- Belinda J.Parmenter. Jacqueline Raymond, Paul Dinnen, Maria A. Fiatarone Singh. A ststematic Review of randomized comtrolled trials: Walkimng versius alternative exercise prescription as a treatmnewnt for intermittent claudication. Atherosclerosis 218 (2011) 1 – 12.
- Raphael Mendes Ritti-Dias, Nelson Wolosker, Cláudia Lúcia de Moraes Forjaz, Celso Ricardo Fernandes Carvalho, Gabriel Grizzo Cucato, Pedro Puech Leão, and Maria de Fátima Nunes Marucci. Strength training increases walking tolerance in intermittent claudication patients: Randomized trial. J Vasc Surg 2010; 51:89-95.
- John M. Saxton, Irena Zwierska, Milisa Blagojevic, Sohail A. Choksy, Shah Nawaz, and A. Graham Pockley. Upper- versus lower-limb aerobic exercise training on health-related quality of life in patients with symptomatic peripheral arterial disease. J Vasc Surg 2011; 53:1265-73.
- Sandra Spronk, Johanna L. Bosch, Pieter T. den Hoed, MD, Hermanus F. Veen, Peter M.T. Pattynama, M.G. Myriam Hunink. Cost-effectiveness of endovascular revascularization compared to supervised hospital-based exercise training in patients with intermittent claudication: A randomized controlled trial. J Vasc Surg 2008; 48:1472-80.
- Sandra Spronk, Johanna L. Bosch, Pieter T. den Hoed, Hermanus F. Veen, Peter M. T. Pattynama, M. G. Myriam Hunink. Intermittent Claudication: Clinical Effectiveness of Endovascular Revascularization versus Supervised Hospital-based Exercise Training— Randomized Controlled Trial. Radiology: Volume 250: Number 2—February 2009.
- Andrew HR. Stewart, Frank CT. Smith, Roger N. Baird and Peter M. Lamont. Local Versus Systemic Mechanisms Underlying Supervised Exercise Training for Intermittent Claudication. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2008 42: 314 originally published online 4 March 2008.
- Garry Tew, Shah Nawaz, Irena Zwierska and John M. Saxton. Limb-specific and cross-transfer effects of arm-crank exercise training in patients with symptomatic peripheral arterial disease. Clinical Science (2009) 117, 405–413.
- Jianxiong Wang, Shi Zhou, Roger Bronks, John Graham and Stephen Myers. Effects of Supervised Treadmill Walking Training on Calf Muscle Capillarization in Patients With Intermittent Claudication. Angiology. 2009 60: 36 originally published online 27 May 2008.
- Watson L, Ellis B, Leng GC. Exercise for intermittent claudication. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD000990. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD000990.pub2.
- Jülide Oncu, Berrin Durmaz and Hale Karapolat. Short-term effects of aerobic exercise on functional capacity, fatigue, and quality of life in patients with post-polio syndrome . Clin Rehabil 2009 23: 155
- Katarina Skough, Charlott Krossén, Susanne Heiwe, Henning Theorell, and Kristian Borg. Effects of Resistance Training in Combination with Coenzyme Q10 Supplementation in Patients with Post-Polio: A Pilot Study. J Rehabil Med 2008; 40: 773–775
- de Vos NJ, Singh NA, Ross DA, Stavrinos TM, Orr R, Fiatarone Singh MA. Continuous Hemodynamic Response to Maximal Dynamic Strength Testing in Older Adults. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation 2008;89(2):343-50.
- Michael Drey, Astrid Zech, Ellen Freiberger, Thomas Bertsch, Wolfgang Uter, Cornel C. Sieber, Klaus Pfeifer, Juergen M. Bauer. Effects of Strength Training versus Power Training on Physical Performance in Prefrail Community-Dwelling Older Adults. Gerontology 2012; 58:197–204
- Anthony P. Marsh, Michael E. Miller, W. Jack Rejeski, Stacy L. Hutton, and Stephen B. Kritchevsky. Lower Extremity Muscle Function After Strength or Power Training in Older Adults. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 2009, 17, 416-443.
- Stephen P. Sayers, Kylie Gibson and Cristi R Cook. Effect of High-Speed Power Training on Muscle Performance, Function, and Pain in Older Adults With Knee Osteoarthritis: A Pilot Investigation. Arthritis Care & Research Vol. 64, No. 1, January 2012, pp 46–53.
- Marielle Tschopp, Martin Karl Sattelmayer, Roger Hilfiker. Is power training or conventional resistance training better for function in elderly persons? A meta-analysis. Age and Ageing 2011; 40: 549–556.
- Athan Baillet, Elodie Payraud, Virginie-Aure ́ lie Niderprim, Michael J. Nissen, Benoit Allenet, Patrice Franc ̧ ois, Laurent Grange, Pierre Casez, Robert Juvin and Philippe Gaudin. A dynamic exercise programme to improve patients’ disability in rheumatoid arthritis: a prospective randomized controlled trial. Rheumatology 2009; 48:410–415.
- Athan Baillet, Nadine Zeboulon, Laure Gossec, Christophe Combescure, Louis-Antoine Bodin, Robert Juvin, Maxine Dougados and Phillippe Gaudin. Efficacy of Cardiorespiratory Aerobic Exercise in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Arthritis Care & Research Vol. 62, No. 7, July 2010, pp 984–992.
- P.J. Heine, M.A. Williams, E. Williamson, C. Bridle, J. Adams, A. O’Brien, D. Evans, S.E. Lamb. Development and delivery of an exercise intervention for rheumatoid arthritis: Strengthening and stretching for rheumatoid arthritis of the hand (SARAH) trial. Physiotherapy 98 (2012) 121–130.
- Hurkmans E, van der Giesen FJ, Vliet Vlieland TPM, Schoones J, Van den Ende ECHM. Dynamic exercise programs (aerobic capacity and/or muscle strength training) in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD006853. DOI: 10.1002/14651858. CD006853.pub2.
- Hurkmans E, van der Giesen FJ, Vliet Vlieland TPM, Schoones J, Van den Ende ECHM. Home-based exer- cise therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD007829. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007829.
- Andrew B. Lemmey, Samuele M. Marcora, Kathryn Chester, saly Wilson, Francesco Casanova and Peter J Maddison. Effects of High-Intensity Resistance Training in Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Arthritis & Rheumatism (Arthritis Care & Research) Vol. 61, No. 12, December 15, 2009, pp 1726–1734
Sarcopaenia and frailty
- Marijke J.M. Chin A Paw, Jannique G.Z. van Uffelen, Ingrid Riphagen and Willem van Mechelen. The Functional Effects of Physical Exercise Training in Frail Older People A Systematic Review. Sports Med 2008; 38 (9): 781-793.
- Andrew P Clegg, Sally E Barber, John B Young, Anne Forster and Steve J Iliffe. Do home-based exercise interventions improve outcomes for frail older people? Findings from a systematic review. Reviews in Clinical Gerontology 2012 22; 68–78.
- Thomas J Hoogeboom, Jaap J Dronkers, Cornelia HM van den Ende Ellen Oosting Hospital Gelderse Vallei, Ede and Nico LU van Meeteren. Preoperative therapeutic exercise in frail elderly scheduled for total hip replacement: a randomized pilot trial. Clinical Rehabilitation 2010; 24: 901–910.
- Tony Szturm, Aime L. Betker, Zahra Moussavi, Ankur Desai, Valerie Goodman. Effects of an Interactive Computer game Exercise Regimen on balance Impaitememnt in Frail Community Dwelling Older Adults: A randomized Controlled trial. Phys ther. 2011: 91: 1449 – 1462.
- Olga Theou, Liza Stathokostas, Kaitlyn P. Roland, Jennifer M. Jakobi, Christopher Patterson, Anthony A. Vandervoort, and Gareth R. Jones. The Effectiveness of Exercise Interventions for the Management of Frailty: A Systematic Review. Journal of Aging Research Volume 2011, Article ID 569194, 19 pages.
- Carolina Ackel-D’Elia & Antonio Carlos da Silva & Rogério Santos Silva & Eveli Truksinas & Bolivar Saldanha Sousa & Sérgio Tufik & Marco Túlio de Mello & Lia Rita Azeredo Bittencourt. Effects of exercise training associated with continuous positive airway pressure treatment in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome Sleep Breath (2012) 16:723–735.
- Mathew P. Buman, Eric B. Hekler, Donald L. Bliwise and Abby C. King. Exercise effects on night-to-night fluctuations in self-rated sleep among older adults with sleep complaints. J. Sleep Res. (2011) 20, 28–37
- Montgomery P, Dennis JA. Physical exercise for sleep problems in adults aged 60+. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2002, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD003404. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003404.
- Giselle Soares Passos, Dalva Poyares, Marcos Gonçalves Santana, Carolina Vicaria Rodrigues D’Aurea, Shawn D. Youngstedt, Sergio Tufik , Marco Túlio de Mello. Effects of moderate aerobic exercise training on chronic primary insomnia. Sleep Medicine 12 (2011) 1018–1027.
- Giselle Soares Passos, Dalva Lucia Rollemberg Poyares, Marcos Goncalves Santana, Sergio Tufik, Marco Tu ́lio de Mello. Is exercise an alternative treatment for chronic insomnia? Clinics. 2012; 67(6):653-659.
- Giselle Soares Passos, Dalva Poyares, Marcos Gonçalves Santana, Carolina Vicaria Rodrigues D’Aurea, Shawn D. Youngstedt, Sergio Tufik, Marco Túlio de Mello. Effects of moderate aerobic exercise training on chronic primary insomnia. Sleep Medicine 12 (2011) 1018–1027.
- Kathryn J. Reid, Kelly Glazer Baron, Brandon Lu, Erik Naylor, Lisa Wolfe, Phyllis C. Zee. Aerobic exercise improves self-reported sleep and quality of life in older adults with insomnia. Sleep Medicine 11 (2010) 934–940.
- Kathy C. Richards, Corinne Lambert, Cornelia K. Beck, Donald L. Bliwise, William J. Evans, Gurpreet K. Kalra, Morton H. Kleban, Rebecca Lorenz, Karen Rose, Nalaka S. Gooneratne, Dennis H. Sullivan. Strength Training, Walking, and Social Activity Improve Sleep in Nursing Home and Assisted Living Residents: Randomized Controlled Trial. JAGS 59:214–223, 2011
- Denise Maria Servantes, Ama ́lia Pelcerman, Xiomara Miranda Salvetti, Ana Fa ́tima Salles, Pedro Ferreira de Albuquerque, Fernando Cezar Alves de Salles, Cleide Lopes, Marco Tu ́lio de Mello, Dirceu Rodrigues Almeida and Japy Angelini Oliveira Filho. Effects of home-based exercise training for patients with chronic heart failure and sleep apnoea: a randomized comparison of two different programmes. Clinical Rehabilitation 26(1), 2011. 45–57.
- Henri Tuomilehto, Helena Gylling, Markku Peltonen, Tarja Martikainen, Johanna Sahlman, Jouko Kokkarinen, Jukka Randell, Hannu Tukiainen, Esko Vanninen, Markku Partinen, Jaakko Tuomilehto, Matti Uusitupa, and Juha Seppa . Sustained improvement in mild obstructive sleep apnea after a diet- and physical activity–based lifestyle intervention: post-interventional follow-up. Am J Clin Nutr 2010; 92:688–696.
- Pei-Yu Yang, Ka-Hou Ho, Hsi-Chung Chen,and Meng-Yueh Chien. Exercise training improves sleep quality in middle-aged and older adults with sleep problems: a systematic review. Journal of Physiotherapy.2012 Vol 58: 157-163
- Koh MS, Tee A, Lasserson TJ, Irving LB. Inhaled corticosteroids compared to placebo for prevention of ex- ercise induced bronchoconstriction. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2007, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD002739. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD002739.pub3
- Won Hyuk Chang, Min Su Kim, Jung Phil Huh, Peter K. W. Lee and Yun-Hee Kim. Effects of Robot-Assisted Gait Training on Cardiopulmonary Fitness in Subacute Stroke Patients: A Randomized Controlled Study. Neurorehabil Neural Repair 2012 26: 318 originally published online 15 November 2011.
- Ulla-Britt Flansbjer, Michael Miller, David Downham and Jan Lexell. Progressive restistance Training After Stroke: effects on Muscle strength, Muscle Tone, Gait performance and Perceived Participation. J Rehabil Med 2008; 40: 42–4
- Ulla-Britt Flansbjer, Jan Lexell, and Christina Brogårdh. Long term benefits of Progressive esistance Training in Chronic Stroke: A 4 Year Follow-Up. J Rehabil Med 2012; 44: 218–221
- Jocelyn E. Harris, Janice J. Eng. Strength Training Improves Upper-Limb Function in Individuals With Stroke A Meta-Analysis. Stroke. 2010; 41:136-140.
- Birgitta Langhammer and Johan K Stanghelle. Exercise on a treadmill or walking outdoors? Arandomized controlled trial comparing effectiveness of two walking exercise programmes late after stroke. Clinical Rehabilitation 2010; 24: 46–54.
- Mi-Joung Lee, Sharon L. Kilbreath, Maria Fiatarone Singh, Brian Zeman, Stephen R. Lord, Jacquelene Raymond, and Glen M. Davis. Comparison of Effect of Aerobic Cycle Training and Progressive Resistance Training on Walking Ability After Stroke: A Randomized Sham Exercise–Controlled Study. JAGS 56:976–985, 2008.
- Mi-Joumg Lee, Sharon L. Kilbreath, maria Fiatarone Singh, Brian Zeman and Glen M. Davis. Effect of Progressive Resistance Training on Muscle Performance after Chronic Stroke. Medicine and Sports Sciences.
- Jan Mehrholz, and Marcus Poh. Electro-Mechanical Assisted Gait training After stroke: A Systematic Review Comparing End Effector and Exoskeleton Devices. J Rehabil Med 2012; 44: 193–199
- Swati Mehta, MA, Shelialah Pereira, PT, MSc, Ricardo Viana, MD, Rachel Mays, BSc (c), Amanda McIntyre, MSc, Shannon Janzen, MSc, and Robert W. Teasell, MD, FRCP. Resistance Training for Gait Speed and Total Distance Walked During the Chronic Stage of Stroke: A Meta-Analysis. Top Stroke Rehabil 2012; 19(6):471–478
- Giovanni Morone, Maura Bragoni, Marco Iosa, Domenico De Angelis, Vincenzo Venturiero, Paola Coiro, Luca Pratesi and Stefano Paolucci. Who May Benefit From Robotic-Assisted Gait Training? : A Randomized Clinical Trial in Patients With Subacute Stroke. Neurorehabil Neural Repair 2011 25: 636 originally published online 26 March 2011.
- Marco Paoloni, Massimiliano Mangone, Paola Scettri, Rita Procaccianti, Antonella Cometa and Valter Santilli. Segmental Muscle Vibration Improves Walking in Chronic Stroke Patients With Foot Drop: A Randomized Controlled Trial . Neurorehabil Neural Repair 2010 24: 254 originally published online 23 October 2009.
- States, Rebecca A; Salem, Yasser; Pappas, Evangelos. Overground Gait Training for Individuals with Chronic Stroke: A Cochrane Systematic Review. Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy; Dec 2009; 33, 4; ProQuest Central pg. 179-186.
- Janne M. Veerbeek, Muriel Koolstra, Johannes C.F. Ket; Erwin E.H. van Wegen, Gert Kwakkel. Effects of Augmented Exercise Therapy on Outcome of Gait and Gait-Related Activities in the First 6 Months After Stroke A Meta-Analysis. Stroke. 2011; 42:3311-3315.
Total Joint replacement
- Thomas J Hoogeboom, Jaap J Dronkers, Cornelia HM van den Ende, Ellen Oosting and Nico LU van Meeteren. Preoperative therapeutic exercise in frail elderly scheduled for total hip replacement: a randomized pilot trial. Clin Rehabil 2010 24: 901.
- Madeleine Didsbury, Richard G. McGee, Allison Tong, Jonathan C. Craig, Jeremy R. Chapman, Steve Chadban, and Germaine Wong Exercise Training in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Transplantation & Volume 95, Number 5, March 15, 2013